I am on Day 5 of my 30 Day Challenge. It is Apple Pie day! No, it isn’t March 14 (3/14, get it?), just a good day for pie! Seems fitting to make the most American food on the day of the Super Bowl – the largest American sporting event.
Why did I decide to make Apple Pie? Well, I have made a total of 1 pie before this one. And it was bad… All the liquid that bubbled out and landed on the stove bottom scarred me for life. But I think it’s time to face my fears and stop cowering front of the pie. The purpose of the 30 day challenge is to step outside of my comfort zone and there’s no better way to do that then with this pie.
I decided to use store bought pie crust. There are enough variables with pie I didn’t need to add another! I’m sure your favorite gluten free crust would work just as well with this recipe.
What Went Well
- The apples were cooked just right. Soft with a slight crunch.
- Crust was cooked perfectly. Cooked through, no soggy bits, and no burnt bits.
- Taste was right on, worthy of seconds!
- There was liquid at the bottom. I usually chock up recipe errors to the user (i.e. me), but this time I think it was the recipe. I used a recipe from AllRecipes. It specified to simmer a butter/sugar syrup, but did not say how long. Next time I will let this simmer for longer to thicken properly.
- I didn’t like the appearance of the pie. This recipe is a bit unusual that it has you put the apples in the pie pan with the top pie crust in place. Then you poor the butter/sugar syrup over the entire pie. This left the crust unevenly colors where there syrup was. Instead, I would either mix the apples and syrup prior to placing in the pie, or I would add the top crust after the syrup was added.
- The recipe called for 8 apples. I ended up using 6 and still had a mile high pile of apples!
Have other pie problems? Check out this great post on remedies for all your pie problems.
Definitely a winning recipe with just a few simple modifications to make it that much better. This pie goes great with my sugar free whipped cream. Check it out here. I am salivating writing this post. I think I need to go get another slice!